According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2019 is the Year of the Pig. The Pig is the twelfth of all zodiac animals. According to one myth, the Jade Emperor said the order would be decided by the order in which they arrived to his party. Pig was late because he overslept. Another story says that a wolf destroyed his house. He had to rebuild his home before he could set off. When he arrived, he was the last one and could only take twelfth place.
So, why would I draw attention to an animal with the stereotypical characteristics that I don’t want you to emulate in 2019?
Keep reading. My research also noted that the Pig is also associated with the Earthly Branch (地支—dì zhī) hài (亥), and the hours 9–11 in the night. In terms of yin and yang (阴阳—yīn yáng), the Pig is yin. In Chinese culture, pigs are the symbol of wealth. Their chubby faces and big ears are signs of fortune as well. And who doesn’t want wealth in 2019?
Pigs have a beautiful personality and are blessed with good fortune in life.
If you were born in 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007 or 2019,
–You might not stand out in a crowd. But you are very realistic.
–Others may be all talk and no action. Pigs are the opposite.
–Pigs, though not wasteful spenders, will let themselves enjoy life.
–They love entertainment and will occasionally treat themselves.
–They are a bit materialistic, but this is motivation for them to work hard.
–Being able to hold solid objects in their hands gives them security.
–Pigs are energetic and are always enthusiastic, even for boring jobs.
–If given the chance, they will take positions of power and status.
–They believe that only those people have the right to speak, and that’s what they want.
OK – enough about Pigs and the Chinese Zodiac.
Let’s talk turkey, resolutions, and organization as we begin 2019:
- You were probably not born in a Year of the Pig, so don’t waste time trying to analyze your own personality characteristics. You may however, encounter “Pigs” who are customers so be on the look out for these traits and use your fabulous sales skills to win them into your pen.
- Use your knowledge and winning personalities to paint realistic pictures of what their business could look like in your hotel. Brush up on your features and attributes and know what your property does best.
- You MUST stand out from the crowd. Don’t be the little piggy who cries wee wee wee all the way home. Be the hog who takes all the business to your hotel!
- Make it a focus to stay up to date on your brand and brand culture. If you are an independent hotel, develop a culture for your hotel and make sure all your little piglets know what is going on.
- Keep yourselves updated on the industry, your market and hospitality trends.
- Don’t wallow in the mud. Put your best foot forward by being professionally dressed and positively focused every day.
- Don’t let any big bad wolves blow your house down. Stay connected with your customers by using good sales practices. Get organized so you don’t miss any deadlines.
- Clean up your sty. Organize your desk. Do your filing. Update your calendar. If your office is a mess, why would your customers assume your hotel is clean if you are not clean?
- Have a general plan for all aspects of sales: a sales strategy, a sales plan, a revenue goal, a social media plan, a promotions and deals plan, and an event calendar. Know what is going on and preplan rather than chase your tail.
If you’ve ever used the phrase “when pigs fly” to describe something that’ll never happen, you may want to reach back into your bag of idioms. Be like Lillie and use your best assets to take to the sky. Nothing is impossible!