I can dig it, can you dig it baby?
Last year, right around this time, I blogged about the value of celebrating Earth Day. (Follow the link to reread last year’s blog.)
This year I am again highly encouraging you and your staff to tout the ways you are helping to save our Earth. Climate change is a huge topic politically and ecologically, so it behooves us to make sure that all of our marketing messages include the ways we consciously respect Mother Earth. Can you dig it?
The national theme for this year’s Earth Day is “Trees For The Earth”. The goal is to plant 7.8 billion trees across the earth. According to the Earth Day Network, trees will be the first of five major goals undertaken in honor of the five-year countdown to their 50th anniversary. On their own and together, these initiatives will make a significant and measurable impact on the Earth and will serve as the foundation of a cleaner, healthier and more sustainable planet for all. #trees4earth
Trees help combat climate change.
They absorb excess and harmful CO2 from our atmosphere. In fact, in a single year, an acre of mature trees absorbs the same amount of CO2 produced by driving the average car 26,000 miles.
Trees help us breathe clean air.
Trees absorb odors and pollutant gasses (nitrogen oxides, ammonia, sulfur dioxide and ozone) and filter particulates out of the air by trapping them on their leaves and bark.
Trees help communities.
Trees help communities achieve long-term economic and environmental sustainability and provide food, energy and income.
So what can you do to celebrate? Talk about conserving resources in your daily huddles. Encourage the staff to respect water and electricity.
- Talk to Housekeeping about running water while they clean…. instead, turn off faucets when scrubbing and turn back on to rinse; turn on lights when cleaning and turn them off when they leave a room; and, make sure we are following our guidelines for setting thermostats in guest rooms. Can you dig it?
- Talk to Laundry about running proper sized loads; utilizing chemicals correctly; and, keeping equipment running properly and filters clean. Can you dig it?
- Talk to Maintenance about making sure that our boilers and HVAC units are running efficiently and safely. Check temperatures of hot water tanks to make sure they are set properly; double check windows and screens to make sure they are working properly; and, check pools and spas to make sure filters and pumps are working properly. Can you dig it?
- Talk to Front Desk about making sure our back offices are organized and we are properly utilizing our supplies and paper. Recycle supplies as appropriate. Turn off lights when not in use. Set thermostats for efficiency. Report any hazards immediately. Can you dig it?
- Talk to Sales about informing our clients on how we are working to preserve our natural resources. Publicize the fact that we use LED light technology, have individually programmable thermostats, give guests the options to reuse linen, recycle paper products, and donate gently used supplies instead of throwing them away. Create promotions and distribute sales gifts that are “green”. Flower pots, seeds, picnic lunches, etc. are not only great gifts, but socially conscious. Can you dig it?
Plan a staff event to plant trees, flowers or work in the community. Involve the staff in sprucing up the exterior hotel grounds one Saturday. Have them bring rakes, shovels, and help plant flowers. (Can you dig it…. literally?) Publicize in the media and on social media with pictures and articles. Let your customers know you all care.
Happy Diggin’ It!